Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Ferris Mewler and Rolly Demonstrate Ophiolite Tectonics: Debut of The Bloggess's Cats on Geokittehs

Before you read this Geokittehs post, there are two things you must do:
 #1: Go read the The Bloggess.
 #2: Go pre-order a copy of The Bloggess's forthcoming book Let's Pretend This Never Happened. 

Have you done those two things? Yes? Okay, good.

Now that you've done those two things, I present a picture of The Bloggess's cats Ferris Mewler and Rolly:
These cats look nothing like the cats of Mary, The Bloggess's assistant.
How did I obtain the above picture? Well, last week in the midst of thesis preparation craziness I sent a crazy email to The Bloggess asking if she would send me a picture of her cats for Geokittehs because I thought that if anyone could come up with an amazing Geokitteh picture it would be The Bloggess. Also, I must confess, I thought it would be pretty neat to feature the cats of one of my internet idols here on Geokittehs. Perhaps we'll have to start a new "Famous Cats" section here on Geokittehs.

After I sent the email to The Bloggess, I panicked and thought, "Wow. Why did I send such a crazy email?"  Then I thought, "Well, at least I didn't send a crazy email to my PhD committee members," which provided a little comfort. Although then I thought, "But I care more about what The Bloggess thinks about me than my committee members," and I panicked some more. 

Fortunately, The Bloggess didn't think I was too crazy and even sent me the above picture of Ferris Mewler and Rolly. I know what you're thinking. You're thinking: "Huh. It looks as if stud muffin Ferris Mewler is shorter and maybe a bit more stout." You're also probably thinking: "Wait a minute, isn't Rolly a long-haired black cat?"

Well, The Bloggess is so amazing that she not only sent me a picture of her cats, she even went to the trouble of putting her cats IN DISGUISE for the picture. She shrank Ferris Mewler and then fattened him up a little bit, and then she cut Rolly's gorgeous long hair off. Why? I'm not exactly sure. But I've found it's best not to question the strange things that The Bloggess does. For example, who knew that a giant metal chicken purchased at a discount store could turn into so much awesome?

Now, on to the important part: the geology. Mary's The Bloggess's cats are clearly demonstrating crustal accretion processes in the above picture. Specifically, I think that Rolly is playing the role of an ophiolite which is being obducted on top of continental crust. Such accretion processes occur when, for example, an ocean basin closes.

Here's an annotated version of the picture illustrating the tectonics:

Ophiocats.
Ferris Mewler and Rolly's ophiolite tectonics demonstration is similar to a proposed model for the obduction of the Samail Ophiolite in Oman:
A proposed model for the obduction of the Samail Ophiolite, Oman. Continental crust indicated by crosses, oceanic crust by darker shading. Figure taken from Coleman, R. G. 1981. Tectonic setting for Ophiolite Obduction in Oman. Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 86, no. B4: 2497-2508. Click to enlarge.

Here's that figure with cat annotations:
Same figure as above, with key cat annotations.

***Much appreciation to The Bloggess and her assistant Mary for taking the time to respond to my crazy email.***

1 comment:

  1. The Bloggess is the bestest!!! And Mary her assistant is also pretty good.

    ReplyDelete